Thursday, March 26, 2009

Exodus 3

Bible Gateway link Chapter 3

God gives Moses 2 names: "I AM WHO I AM." And he said, "Say this to the people of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'" 15God also said to Moses, "Say this to the people of Israel, 'The LORD, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.' This is my name forever, and thus I am to be remembered throughout all generations.

I AM......this I think is the most telling of who God is. The Alpha-and Omega, the beginning, and the end. The one, and only. He exists unto himself, not dependant on anything. I asked a priest when I was in Catholic school why a bush? The answer he gave has always stayed with me. He told me that it was not so much the bush, but the fact that the bush did not burn. God was the flame, only the Lord can ignite a flame and it not consume what the flame rests on. HE told me it was a symbol of the church, because although the church is always under attack form outside forces, God always keeps it whole.
For me I can't help but think that God saying I AM WHO I AM is his way of saying I am all you need, and that is all you need to know. I am, always have been, and always will be everything that you need for eternity. I don't think that there could have been a better way for the Lord to show himself. Fire is used through out the bible as a way to show how God purifies us, it is used as a sign of the Holy Spirit, I thin kit is only fitting that the Lord presented himself as a burning bush that does not burn away. He is God, he is "I AM WHO I AM."


Peace,
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment