Thursday, March 26, 2009

Genesis 35

Bible Gateway link Chapter 35


The labor was too much for Rachel's body to bear. Notice how it was written “as her soul was leaving her body” death comes to all, however in this instance death was not really mentioned, only the passage of her soul. For the believer death is not the end, only the beginning of the next chapter.



Jacob had set pillars in the past, but they had always been in remembrance of a wonderful experience. Now we see him set a pillar for a sad event. One that must have been pretty devastating to him. It does not mention about his despair, or sadness, yet Rachel was his true love from the beginning. Could this be Jacob showing all that great joy, and great sadness both should be marked in our lives? To only remember the good brings us to a point in our lives that we expect only good. While that is a great mindset, it is remembrance of our sorrow that keeps us grounded.



I also have to say that in this chapter we see Jacob go to his people and collect their idols……here again no mention of anyone putting up a fight, they just turn them over. You can just picture it, Jacob walks up and tells his people, “ hey look, I was talking to God….not one of your gods, but THE GOD, and he wants me to collect all of your idols………to which they turn the right over. Even though he was acting under direction form God, you know that had to be a tough thing to bring up. Yet there was not enough complaint to even mention it….I know, for me, I have found that often what I think is going to be a bad situation turns out to go much easier than expected. Makes me wish that I had done it sooner. Maybe Jacob had the same thought?

Peace,
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment