Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Genesis 28

Bible Gateway link Chapter 28

There are many ways to look at Jacob’s ladder. This is what my thoughts are. The ladder is Christ, he is our passage to the Lord. It is through Christ that we will reach our afterlife, without him there is no hope. The angels going up and down are very much like the messengers of any kingdom, coming and going, helping their (our) king carry out his plan. This dream is more than just a ladder (or stairway) to heaven. It symbolizes our ability to walk this earth and still have safe passage to God. It gives Hope when we need it most. What a wonderful vision! God in all his glory, using his son as a bridge between heaven and earth, all the while angels are being sent to aid us in our journey home, as well as carry reports of our needs back to the Lord!

I think the amazing event happened once Jacob woke up. He exclaims that this is an awesome place, none other than the house of God. Finally Jacob “gets it” some would say that he was truly saved at that moment. Yes he was chosen, yes he knew he was destined to be a great ruler, but he awakens from this dream and realizes that God is not at some far off place. He is not out of reach. HE is right there next to him. He realizes that God is all around him. HE says surely this is the place of the Lord, and I did not know it……he finally “gets it” The entire world is the place of the Lord, it is just that so many of us often only think of him as being in church. Have we all not felt like Jacob before? Jacob is alone, and far from home, he has a brother that is furious with him, and his Father has to feel at least a little slighted. Jacob must have felt very alone. It is at this moment that God steps forwards and remind Jacob that he is never alone. I know that when I feel that isolated, it is a true comfort to know that while I might be by myself, I am not alone. The Lord will protect and provide for me, he will send angels to watch over me, he will not forsake me, he will not forget me, for he is always within me.

Lastly I can’t pass up the similarities between Babel ( Gen. chapter 11), and Bethel. Babel = Gate of God, Bethel = House of God. Babel was created by man to try and prove to the world that man could reach God without his help. Bethel was created by a vision that shows us the only way to God is through his Son and that passage way is always open for us. Once again showing us that we do not need to try and force our relationship with the Lord. It is always there, all we have to do is call on him and accept it.

Peace,

Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment